Modus Simple Pro Built Armature- 228mm / 9 Inch Scale
The New MODUS SIMPLE, budget friendly professionally fabricated stop motion animation armature.
A simplified version of the Modus V2 Pro, perfect for simple animations and puppets that do not require extensive rigging or fixtures such as replacement hands etc.
Each Modus Armature is personally designed and built by Julian Clark, armature fabricator for Aardman and supplier of thousands of armatures worldwide to students, enthusiasts and professional studios in the past 11 years.
ALL PRE-MADE ARMATURES ARE PROFESSIONALLY SILVER BRAZED/SOLDERED AND READY TO ANIMATE
"Silver brazing is the strongest method of fabrication for stop motion animation armatures, primarily joining multiple metal parts together to form a solid, strong connection to endure the stresses that stop motion animation can cause on puppets. Anything less, such as threadlocker, dramatically increases the risk of armature failure during animating.
Imagine spending numerous hours and material costs fabricating your puppet, to then have to dissect limbs to make repairs on failed joints in the middle of an animating session, with the only option of using the same method of repair that failed to begin with. The biggest mistake in Puppet fabrication is to underestimate the importance of the armature."
Julian Clark 2020
- Full professional Silver Brazed joints and connections - no thread locker used!!
- 16 Precision Ball & Socket Joints - beautifully smooth with plenty of resistance to material
- Natural and anatomically correct shoulder and torso joints - perform "shrug" and front-to-back shoulder movements with precision and control
- Interlocking neck section
- Double back ball joint for strength and fluidity in the lower and upper back, including threaded pick up for body armour.
- Ball jointed foot set with individual tension points for heel and toe, plus M3 threaded tie down points in both toe plates
- Made with over 44 precision steel parts, utilising the latest Laser Cutting technology
- Fully Powder coated for extra durability, corrosion resistance, adhesion to silicones, foams etc
Ball Stem Technology with traditional silver solder techniques
Developed by Julian Clark Studios in 2010, Ball Stems are 6mm balls with an M3 threaded 70mm stem precision made from a single piece of hard wearing stainless steel, completely solving the age old issue of balls being ripped from rod ends during lengthy animation.
These Ball Stems are used throughout the construction of this pre-built armature, with the exception of 3 separate points of articulation - shoulders and lower back section. So, to solve a potential weakness issue, these areas have been professionally silver brazed.
Silver Brazing is a process of joining metal through a heating technique along with the addition of a "filler" metal, this technique is used to permanently secure a stainless steel ball to a stainless steel rod, joining lock-off points to brass tubing (lock-off's are used to secure rigging points or interlocking tubing) and to join steel components.
This armature has silver brazed brass interlocking rigging points, interlocking wrist sections, interlocking neck section, shoulder ball joints, lower back section and foot components (one of the most important areas for strength on an armature).
Technical Drawing and actual size print sheet are available to download HERE
Type: Ball & Socket
Material: Brass and steel construction with stainless steel Balls & Ball Stems
Weight: 95 Grams
Ball size: 6mm diameter stainless steel
Rod size: M3/3mm stainless steel
No. Joints: 17
Tie Down: M3 tie down in toe
1 x Pre-Built Armature
1 x 2mm Allen Key
1 x Spares Bag (Bolts, Nuts etc)